FLORIDA HURRICANE season
Gold Coast Shutters and Fence
Hurricane season is our greatest concern here at Gold Coast. More hurricanes have hit Florida than any other state. The official Hurricane Season is from June 1 to November 30. Since 1851 only eighteen hurricane seasons have passed without a named storm impacting the state. Over 10,000 people have been killed here with over $115 billion (2008 USD) in damage. Hurricanes have affected Florida, in every month, of the year except January and March. It is a fact of life that this threatening weather occurs in Florida. Knowing the facts about Florida hurricane season can take some of the stress out of weather worry. Although predictions are vague concerning hurricanes, the conditions necessary for a hurricane to develop are well known. All year round, but especially during our hurricane season, periodic reports are published and constantly updated which predict hurricane occurrences. Modern day technology tracks storm systems carefully. Radar and weather maps show patterns that can indicate, what hurricanes may be forming. Months before hurricane season, we advise everyone to follow our Gold Coast list, of “must haves” and be fully prepared, for any eventuality a storm may cause.
Hurricane Season Must Haves
Gold Coast Hurricane Shutters and Fence is a family owned and operated company with over 20 years of experience in the industry. Our family grew up here in Florida, and has seen and felt the impact of hurricane damage. For that reason, we have included this reminder to put your hurricane season must haves, in place early.
Your Gold Coast emergency kit should contain the following:
- Water - at least 1 gallon daily, per person, for 3 to 7 days.
- Food - at least enough for 3 to 7 days
- Non-perishable packaged or canned food / juices
- Infant foods and special foods for the elderly, in the family
- Manual can opener
- Portable cook stove, pots, pans and fuel
- Paper plates and plastic utensils
- Blankets / Pillows, etc.
- Clothing - seasonal / rain gear/ sturdy shoes
- First Aid Kit / Medicines / Prescription Drugs
- Special Items - for babies and the elderly
- Toiletries / soaps and deodorants / moist wipes
- Flashlight / Batteries
- Radio - Battery operated and NOAA weather radio
- Telephones - Fully charged cell phone with extra battery and a traditional (not cordless) telephone set
- Cash (variety of smaller bills) and Credit Cards - Banks and ATMs may stay closed for days
- Resealable, gallon-sized freezer bags
- Toys, Books and Games
- Important documents - in a waterproof container or watertight, resealable, plastic bag
- including - insurance, medical records, bank account numbers, Social Security card, etc.
- Tools - a comprehensive home repair set
- Fuel - fill vehicle fuel tanks before storm
- Pet care items
- Proper identification / immunization records / medications
- Ample supply of pet food and water
- Pet carrier or cage
- Leash and muzzle - restrain and/or muzzle all pets through the storm
The Gold Coast staff presents this list of hurricane season must haves with the sincere hope that you and your family will never have to use it.